Box of Rain

24-192 Sources

Home Forums Late for Supper 24-192 Sources

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hey all – Just wanted to get a feel from folks that might not want 24-192 (as our ears may not be listening). I get that detection in human ear might not catch all the bits.
    Emeril Lagasse once said: “Less is More” 🙂

In the future: HD Tracks, Dead dot net downloads, other sources… I can convert to 24-96 or/and 16-44 if desired, Really not a trouble. I know some folks do like all the bits.
    Either way, feeling it out for what ppl prefer/want. Maybe folks don’t mind doing they’re own coversions? Tossing it up for volly.

24/-192

room204
    Keymaster

I am of the opinion that people put up what they want, and the users can decide to either download it, or pass it by. If I see something that is high-res, I can always down-sample it on my end if I choose.
    But if you’ve got high-res, which you seem to enjoy, I say keep at it.

🙂

Ozymandias
    Keymaster

I’ll agree. Posting is the fun part, just below seeing visitors eat up our bits. A poster goes thru what he goes thru to get that link on the page. It should not be made less fun by someone imposing a rule that they happen to think others should adhere to.

Opinions are going to vary on 24/192 vs 24/96 vs 16/44 forever because everyone’s biological hearing apparatus works differently depending primarily on the dose of high volume audio over the course of a lifetime,the type of music listened to and the playback system. I regret putting up a link that was so strong in its statements about 192kHz. However, it had good science in it. Blame it on the neuroanatomist in me. Yeah, visitors can downsample if they want. But those downsampled filesets can never fill a reseed request for the original files. Someone needs to keep the original fileset for that.

The disk space required for 24/192 comes into play with me after 5 years of BOR torrents, not to mention taper’s torrents from elsewhere.

You’re good BTJ!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Ozymandias.
    BTJ

I got ya OZY and all my uploads are backed up for the future.
    I could only imagine how many TB I’ll have after 5 years…
    ⚘⚘⚘

A Hi-Res Nonny Moose

I can (still) hear the difference, and appreciate the Hi-Res ups. Also agree that if someone wants a down-sample, they should do it themselves (they can certainly ask here for help getting sorted).

DupreeDAB

While I prefer 16 bit, I certainly understand why some folks want 24. Down-sampling isn’t a big deal, so no issue at all with 24 bit uploads. I’m just grateful for all the music.

Anymouse

Copied and edited from Ozymandias’ post above:

“Opinions are going to vary on 24/192 vs 24/96 vs 16/44 forever… Yeah, visitors can downsample if they want. But those downsampled filesets can never fill a reseed request for the original files. Someone needs to keep the original fileset for that.”

And that’s the rub, the inability to reseed. I do try to hang on the original filesets to help seed for sometimes days, once I jump off, I’ll downsample to either 16/44.1 or 16/48 and will be of no further help.

However, even with my poor DSL speeds, I say keep putting up the Hi-Rez and we, the end users, will sort it out.

To my fellow end users on resampling, I do recommend dBpoweramp. Unlike r8brain which many use, you don’t need to convert flac to wav before resampling, the sample rate convertor is better* and dBpoweramp can use multiple cores of your microprocesser, so it’s quicker.

If you dig around, older versions of dBpoweramp can be found as freeware. (I forget where I had seen these older versions, some place called oldversions or oldapps, something like that, but I’m currently using oldbrain, lol).

*While I can show you charts and graphs to “prove” dBpoweramp is “better” than r8brain, the difference between the best and worst sample rate convertors is inaudible to all but God and the guys that sell upgraded speaker wire.

Awesome and so true, Anymouse. I’ve used dBpoweramp forever (love it). It’s a really powerful tool for what we love so much. I bought the full version many years ago and it was only $35… and I can throw it on, I believe, up to 3-4 different PC’s. I think it’s $70 for 5 PC’s and $39 for single unit now.
    dBpoweramp

Like you, and so many others, we all love to reseed when and if we’re able.
    I can tell you first hand, that all my posts are backed up x2 and will stay alive hopefully many many years to come if needed.

Heck, you find and go in with 3-4 buddies to split it, that’s a $20 purchase for lifetime of conversions 🙂

Ozymandias
    Keymaster

OK, I’ll come clean. If I DL a 24/192 I keep it around in perpetuity (that’s longer than a disk’s warranty) so that we can reseed it. That’s important to me, that we can fill a reseed request years later. I guess I was optimistic about BOR from the get go. After all we are an archive for our visitors and their friends. And new friends. But I don’t DL every 24/192.

My hearing is damaged from sitting 10-15 ft from a great PA system in a small room, aimed directly between my eyes, every other Sat. night for 30 years. And I called the guys friends. At least my hearing was symmetrical, theirs wasn’t.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.