The Complete Studio Recordings of The Miles Davis Quintet 1965–1968 is a box set of six CDs covering the work of Miles Davis and his critically acclaimed second great quintet which featured Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams.
The box set includes all songs from the albums E.S.P., Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, the quintet tracks from Filles de Kilimanjaro and Water Babies as well as some rehearsal and alternative takes. The track list is sequenced in chronological order with the alternative takes preceding the final album version. A few of the tracks were previously unissued.
Recorded between January 20, 1965 and June 21, 1968. Includes liner notes by Michael Cuscuna, Todd Coolman and Bob Belden.
THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA STUDIO RECORDINGS (1965-1968) won the 1999 Grammy Award for Best Album Notes and was nominated for Best Boxed Recording Package.
After hiring Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams for the New York sessions of SEVEN STEPS TO HEAVEN, Miles Davis combed through a series of saxophonists until settling on Wayne Shorter to complete his second great quintet. From their first complete recording as a unit, E.S.P. (1965), to their last session for FILLES DE KILIMANJARO (1968), this group profoundly changed the face of modern jazz. This recorded history has been beautifully preserved and presented in this staggering collection, THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA STUDIO RECORDINGS 1965-68.
From the beginning it is evident that the music herein is of an unmatched quality and power. The genius of Hancock, the melodic invention of Shorter, the solidity of Carter’s foundation and the thundering torrent of Williams all gels into a cohesive symphony of sound under the guiding hand of the Prince of Darkness, himself. The listener is able to trace the development of each member’s compositional prowess and its effect on Davis’ musical approach throughout the group’s tenure. Each successive disc illustrates how the group explored uncharted musical territory with each session. Eventually, Davis would take his art in a new, more electric direction, thus ending this important period of jazz history.
Thanks to our contributor for this fileset ❤ Greatness
Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (1965-1968)
- Little One
- Freedom Jazz Dance
- Ginger Bread Boy
- Limbo – (alternate take)
- Masqualero – (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- Sorcerer, The
- Prince of Darkness
- Pee Wee
- Water Babies
- Madness – (previously unreleased, rehearsal take)
- Hand Jive – (previously unreleased, take 1)
- Hand Jive – (previously unreleased, take 2)
- Hand Jive $0.99
- Madness – (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- Sweet Pea
- Pinocchio – (alternate take)
- Thisness – (previously unreleased)
- Circle in the Round – (previously unreleased, 33-minute version)
- Water on the Pond
- Teo’s Bag – (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- Teo’s Bag
- Paraphernalia – (with George Benson)
- I Have a Dream – (previously unreleased, rehearsal take)
- Speak Like a Child – (previously unreleased, rehearsal take)
- Side Car I
- Side Car II
- Country Son
- Country Son – (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- Black Comedy – (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- Black Comedy
- Petits Machins
- Tout de Suite – (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- Tout de Suite
- Filles de Kilimanjaro